Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Fraternity Day of Service at Mill Creek Elementary

I mentioned I was working on my own Fraternity Day of Service celebration at my son's school in Mill Creek, WA.  I met with the school librarian last month to introduce how we Pi Phis like to promote literacy and we developed a fun week long project with the kids.   
She introduced speed reading and decorating book plates to the kids.  They had a week to practice speed reading and design book plates during their library time.  Today the fourth and fifth grade students had a "Show Off" event where they chose their class's fastest readers. Each student was able to choose a favorite Dr. Seuss book and read it on an over head projector (so all students could follow along).  The kids loved it and the fastest reader for each book was given a Dr. Seuss prize.  


 I don't have the official count, but most of the 200 bookplates I took into school have been wonderfully decorated. 

 A fifth grader student dressed as Cat in the Hat.  Together, we toured all the kindergarten classes to say hello and read a page or two of his fav Dr. Seuss book.  My son, Braeden is on the right.
 Reading to Kindergartners.
 A brave kindergarten student reads to his class.
 Happy Birthday!
 Bringing the celebration to the cafeteria.

My younger son, Jonah (who can't wait for kindergarten next year) and his signature ant (left of smiley face).  
I hope all of your chapters had fun in creating successful, meaningful literacy events in honor of Dr. Seuss and our Fraternity Day of Service!  

No comments:

Post a Comment